Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Too Much Time

For the first time, during this whole dream, I'm feeling a bit down.  Not because of the price, or the work that has to be done, or the regulations I have to figure out, or the approvals I'll have to get.  The problem is it all adds up to time.   While we were developing our plan today, Nikki told me that she thinks I'll be lucky to close by the end of the year -- and that's assuming the sellers agree to my measly offer quickly and we get all forms and conversations with the city, the contractors, the mortgage broker, etc. etc. moving right away.

Not that I care so much -- I have lived in smaller spaces than this cute apartment for longer times -- but how fair is it to Kanha?  She's about to start 5th grade - she's going to have homework to do and friends that want to come to visit, and, believe me, there's little space for either in our three rooms, plus unheated office area.  This is a girl used to doing cartwheels in the living room and dance routines in the kitchen -- better than TV! -- how long can she live without?  I realize I could move into a bigger space while we work out the purchasing details but that is even more horrifying to me -- another move?  More boxes, and stairs to climb, and apartments to clean, and bodies to crash?  I don't think I can do it but once more, for the final, hopefully, dream house.

In any case, we did come up with a plan.  Nikki's going to write up the details of what has to be included in the offer, I'm going to turn it into a loving, plea-ing letter to the sellers, and she's going to approach them with it and a verbal offer of $500K.  And the laughing will begin.  

1 comment:

  1. Pragmatist here! Barbara and I rode by today and spent some time assessing the house from the outside. When the "friend contractor" gives an estimate I would recommend doubling it. There appears to be too many potential hidden issues in a house that size and age that could make a mountain climber like you feel the monetary altitude sickness hit you like the last 100 meters on Everest!

    ReplyDelete