Thursday, August 12, 2010

Looking Out for Me

Now it's Thursday and the supposed other buyers have not been heard from and the seller's agent has headed to Acadia for vacation.  So all the drama appears manufactured, which is neither unexpected nor upsetting.  The calmer and cooler we can stay the better deal I'm likely to get is what I think.    

Unfortunately I'm not sure my real estate agent Nikki and I are on the same page.  She's made it pretty clear she doesn't think it's smart for me to buy this house and every piece of feedback she gives me is twinged with the negative  - we have to get the electrician and the city and the structural engineer and the inspector in before we can agree to a deal, it's uncertain the city will approve the shrinkage of the commercial space, we'll never know what other offer comes in so we won't know what to offer.  Sometimes I feel her goal is more to protect her own position -- cover her ass, as it were -- than to help me buy the house I want to buy.  Which is a bit counter-intuitive since she'll only make money if I buy something.  When it comes time to make the offer, I'm going to have to give her a big pep-talk about making sure she's presenting things in the best way possible for me, and not letting her personal feelings seep into what she says.  I appreciate that she thinks she's looking out for me, but I'm not sure she knows me well enough to see what to look for.  

Still need to know whether the city will approve the smaller commercial space -- but after that, I think I'll put an offer on the table -- $525K?  Or even less?  

No comments:

Post a Comment