Monday, August 9, 2010

Best Offer

On vacation this week, in another house with a view -- my parents' place on Kezar Lake in Lovell.  Sunny, warm, green leaves, a flat lake, hanging out with my family who I really like -- great time so far.

In the meantime, back at the other beautiful house in the big city, another offer is being threatened, although apparently not until Wednesday, which my advisors here (my niece, Becky, and her boyfriend, Jonathan, who recently bought a condo in Cambridge) say sounds fishy but I guess the competition is on vacation until then.  So what to do?  I just found out from Nikki that if we make an offer in response, we never know the content of theirs.  So all I can do is make my "best" offer possible and see what happens.  I suppose that is a bit freeing -- you let go of the consequences - very Zen.

Everyone -niece, boyfriend, Nikki -- is recommending I offer no more than $500K but I seriously doubt that that's going to do the trick.  But what if it could?  And is it worth the gamble?  For some reason, $525K is seeming more saleable, but am I being a fool?

Becky also suggested that I have to make other terms of the offer very appealing -- reasonable downpayment, quick closing, and my story -- that I love the house, want to live in it, bring my daughter up there, create new memories and maybe even a new artist.

I think Becky is right -- make the offer the absolute best, and then let it go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment