Friday, August 6, 2010

Old Age

Back from the visit -- unfortunately I continued to love it while the others from my village weren't so enthusiastic.  Lots that need to be fixed -- roof, deck, electrical, chimneys, shingles, a section of the foundation -- OK, I know it doesn't sound good.  But Craig, my contractor friend, said he saw potential -- after he told me it would cost $100K -- yes, I do understand the conflict of interest implications.   Mary Ellen, on the other hand, is acting cautious and Nikki isn't acting at all -- she just thinks it's a mistake, which she has pointed out in the nicest way possible.  

The question comes down to -- is it a house that deserves to still stand?  Because either you do all this work -- you invest in propping it up and patching it and bringing it, not back to life as it clearly has life, but up to standards.  At risk of over-anthromorphizing a 121 year old building, it feels unloving and ignorant of potential to imagine giving up on it, now that it's old and a little wheezy.  A little surgery and a little face paint won't make it young again but perhaps vital, just as vital as it ever was.  Isn't that a worthwhile value?

Smack in front of my beautiful old dream house is a brand new 5 story condo building with perfectly symmetrical brick siding, front balconies from each apartment looking over the water, and a full footprint roof deck.  I can see its appeal, from afar, both physically and mentally -- it looks impressive when you ride across the bridge from South Portland, its commanding view of the water is hard not to desire.  And the idea of it appeals:  everything -- materials, appliances, paint -- shiny new, every view available.  But it replaced something, I'm sure, something no longer good enough, no longer of value in our 21st century economy, no matter how historic or unusual or unique it was.  Should we - should I -- allow that to happen to another Portland property, especially one I've already been seduced by?  

Now I can hear my village reminding me of the funds I'll need to retire, which I will have to think about, but later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment