Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Heat

Yesterday brought more bad news - the electrical guy won't certify the house because he can't be sure how much knob & tube wiring might be left (which could trip up my efforts to get insurance), Maine passed a law this spring requiring lead paint abatement to be done before any electrician works on an old house, which apparently is quite expensive, if I get a conventional mortgage larger than $417K (where did they get that number??), which I plan to, it's considered a jumbo loan and it is offered at a significantly higher interest rate, etc. etc. etc.  I can hear my friend Barbara's voice in my ear -- don't do it, don't do it, don't do it.

The heat is not improving my mood - I'm sitting in my 500 (maybe 450?) square foot apartment, sweltering away, 86 degrees reading on the thermostat (91 when I went to bed last night).  I'm happy to have found this place, but I/we want out!!  The house with the view is calling.

Lots more info today -- phone call with Jim, the bank president, about my absolutely essential loan, visit to the commercial space with Nick, the contractor, to get an idea of the costs of renovation, trip to the CEO office to find out what the house is legally categorized as, maybe the appraisal report will come in.  The dominoes will be falling, one way or another.  

In the meantime, school orientation and picnic for Kanha today, and first day of school tomorrow.  Our new life in Maine officially begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment