Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Calm and Quiet

A quiet week in Portland.  Kanha is off at sleepover camp in western Maine, aptly named "Survivor Camp" -- I think she will! -- while Theo and I are home holding the fort.  We got back from vacation on Block Island, in Rhode Island, on Friday night.  I know, I've been told how crazy I am to go on an island vacation in another state when we live in Maine, the state of hundreds of craggy rocked, surf splashed, stunning islands.   But still BI, a home away from home for me, was beautiful, mostly because it was shared with old friends who make time stop, laughs flow and love abound over a bonfire and folk songs on a moonlit beach.  Plus the water was warm enough to swim in -- I went in three times in five days, which might be a record for me, Ms. Salt and Sand Hater.

The calm feels odd after a summer of running Kanha from camp to camp -- soccer, tennis, basketball, gymnastics, Fractured Fairy Tales, writing -- phew, I think I got them all -- and a July of a promising romance.  Now Kanha is out of my hair and the romance has gone ka-phoo-y, and Theo and I are sitting around licking our wounds.  Well, he's probably just licking his paws or one of our pairs of shoes.  Not all bad I suppose -- time for respite, recovery, and rejuvenation before the onslaught of school, my new business (more on that in a future post -- perhaps I will have a story about how Kanha and I are not going to starve to death...), a future romance or two -- maybe??, and cooler temps.  Here's to a lovely end to summer 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment